Curious and committed
The value of science
Vision: fascination and curiosity ensure scientific renewal and breakthroughs. Committed researchers contribute to societal progress.
In a circle you find 3 ambitions:
- Connection with society
- Breeding ground and harbour for talent
- Global impact
In the middle of the circle, there is a sentence:
Investing in renewal and a strong base, with room for blue sky research.
Around the circle, there are the 3 ambitions again, with a short explanation en the priorities from each ambition.
Connection with society
Everyone should be able to enjoy the fruits of our scientists’ labours
- The National Research Agenda for innovative research relevant for society (up to € 130 mln in 2020 and onwards)
- Science communication for dialogue with society ( € 1 mln + € 3 mln NWA)
- Open Science in the Netherlands and Europe
Breeding ground and harbour for talent
Training and retaining diverse talent provides a strong foundation
- Valuing and rewarding scientific personnel for research, impact and teaching, e.g. more permanent contracts and an education prize
- Increase diversity among researchers through:
- 2019 European Gender Summit in the Netherlands and 2020 national action plan diversity in science.
- More women in the natural sciences and researchers with a migration background ( € 5 mln annually
Being one of the world’s leaders requires cooperation and a strong system
- Ambitious new framework programme “Horizon Europe” with the principles:excellence, impact and open science
- World-class research facilities: Square Kilometer Array ( € 30 mln) and Pathfinder Einstein Telescope (€ 1 mln)
- New digital research infrastructure (€ 20 mln annually): supercomputer and infrastructure for open science
- Sector plans for natural sciences and engineering and for social sciences and humanities (up to € 70 mln from 2020)
- Strengthening practice-oriented research (up to € 25 mln from 2020