Full name: Mariëtte Bussemaker
Place and date of birth: Capelle aan den IJssel, 15 January 1961
Place of residence: Amsterdam
Civil status: married, one daughter
1973-1979: Secondary school, Oegstgeest
1979-1986: Degree in political science, University of Amsterdam
1993: Doctorate in social sciences
Jet Bussemaker began her career at the University of Amsterdam in 1985.
- From 1985 to 1993 she was a research assistant, researcher and lecturer at the university.
- From 1989 to 2007 she worked for one day a week at VU University, Amsterdam, where her work included a research project financed by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO).
- She was also a visiting fellow at Harvard University.
From 1986 to 1988 Dr Bussemaker was a policy officer at the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment, where she was involved in promoting research in women’s studies.
On 19 May 1998 Jet Bussemaker became a member of the House of Representatives for the Labour Party (PvdA). Her portfolio included social affairs and tax policy, and together with John Leerdam she was responsible for drawing up the PvdA’s cultural strategy. On 22 February 2007 she was appointed State Secretary for Health, Welfare and Sport in the fourth Balkenende government.
After serving as State Secretary, Dr Bussemaker worked for a short period as an independent consultant. On 1 March 2011 she joined the Executive Board of the University of Amsterdam and the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences. She has also been a crown-appointed member of the Social and Economic Council (SER).
On 5 November 2012 Dr Bussemaker was appointed Minister of Education, Culture and Science in the Rutte-Asscher government.
Party political positions and outside activities
Jet Bussemaker has previously held the following positions as part of her activities for the PvdA: member of the manifesto committee (1998), member of the editorial board of Socialisme en Democratie magazine and member of the social policy network.
Dr Bussemaker has also served as a board member and lecturer in a number of areas. These positions include:
- Secretary of the National Ombudswoman Foundation
- Chair of the practising political scientists section of the Dutch Political Science Association
- Visiting lecturer at a course on public administration organised by the Public Domain Foundation
- Chair of the supervisory board of the Netherlands Media Art Institute
- Chair of the supervisory board of the Amsterdam Fund for the Arts
- Member of the supervisory board of the East Indies Memorial Centre
- Crown-appointed member of the Social and Economic Council.
5 November 2012