Working group Integrated sustainability dashboard
The goal of this working group is to create an overarching dashboard that displays the sustainability level of animal products and is based on existing systems that measure sustainability using relevant indicators.
Main focus points
Below you find a short list of the main focus points and conditions for the integrated sustainability dashboard:
- The dashboard should be suitable for international use.
- It should be possible to identify different levels of sustainability (analogous to different levels of animal welfare in method-of-production schemes).
- Choices should be made about e.g.:
- Means vs. goals
- Sustainability on the level of products vs. acreage vs. enterprise
- Focus of life-cycle analysis (LCA)
- It should be possible to fit existing successful labels and concepts into the levels of the overarching scheme / score them on the criteria of the dashboard.
- Attention should be paid to compatibility with an overarching international scheme for animal welfare.
- Independent validation of scores is important to reach objective results.
Results and process
On 18 May 2021, the most recent working group took place. In this meeting, the research team of Wageningen University & Research (WUR) presented their research plan. Six different approaches for the harmonization of sustainability measurement systems will be considered. Moreover, a framework of sustainability parameters has been drafted that can be used to compare and analyze a set of existing initiatives. In the coming period, conversations with retailers from Northwest Europe will take place.
Next meeting and participation
At the end of September 2021, the next meeting of the working group will be held, to present the first results of the research team. For questions, participation or more information please contact Jojanneke Vanderveen (email@example.com)