These departments develop coherent, effective policy on the world's regions and countries.
Europe Department (DEU)
DEU Policy Unit 1 deals with:
Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Norway, Sweden, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Poland, the Russian Federation, Slovakia,Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and the United Kingdom.
DEU Policy Unit 2 deals with:
Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Kosovo, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, and the Vatican City.
Asia and Oceania Department (DAO)
- East Asia Division (DAO/OA), which deals with Cambodia, China, Brunei, Hong Kong, Japan, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Myanmar (Burma), Mongolia, North Korea, the Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam;
- South Asia and Oceania Division (DAO/ZO), which deals with Australia, India, Indonesia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and the island states of the Pacific Ocean..
- South Asia (DAO/ZZ): Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
Western Hemisphere Department (DWH)
- North America Division (DWH/NM), which deals with Canada, Mexico, and the United States of America;
- Latin America and Caribbean Division (DWH/LC), which deals with Argentina, Brazil, Belize, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, the English-speaking Caribbean states, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago, Uruguay, and Venezuela;;
- The Kingdom Affairs Adviser (DWH/AK), who is concerned with the Caribbean areas of the Kingdom .
Sub-Saharan Africa Department (DAF)
- Eastern and Western Africa and the Horn of Africa Division (DAF/HW), which deals with Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, the Central African Republic, Chad, the Comoros, Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritius, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Seychelles, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo and Uganda;
- Central and Southern Africa Division (DAF/MZ), which deals with Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Congo (the Democratic Republic), Congo (the Republic), Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, São Tomé e Príncipe, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
North Africa and Middle East Department (DAM)
DAM consists of two divisions: the Maghreb and Gulf States Division (DAM/MG) and Middle East Division (DAM/MO).
Areas of responsibility:
- Maghreb and Gulf States Division (DAM/MG): Bahrain, Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Algeria, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania, Tunisia and the question of Western Sahara;
- Middle East Division (DAM/MO): Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Yemen, Lebanon, the Palestinian Territories, Syria and the Middle East peace process.