Parliament considers bill introducing combined residence and work permit

Today the Single Residence and Work Permit Bill was presented to the House of Representatives. The single permit (GVVA) will give foreign nationals who are not citizens of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland the right to live and work in the Netherlands for a period exceeding three months.

The GVVA will be a single document combining the residence permit and the current employment permit (TWV). This means that any foreign national wishing to come to the Netherlands to work for more than three months (or his or her employer) would only have to initiate one procedure. The conditions a foreign national must fulfill in order to be allowed to work and live in the Netherlands will remain unchanged.

A few categories of foreign nationals will not be eligible for the GVVA. They will be subject to the current system, in which an employment permit must be obtained from the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) and a residence permit from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). Nevertheless, the GVVA will apply to most non-EU labour migrants. Seasonal workers, students, asylum seekers and Croatian nationals will still need to obtain a separate employment permit. Nothing will change for highly skilled migrants, who are currently only required to have a residence permit.

The GVVA is a residence permit incorporating a supplementary document stating the name of the employer the holder is allowed to work for and the conditions that must be fulfilled for work to be permitted. The IND is the responsible issuing authority for the GVVA.

The GVVA is expected to enter into force at the beginning of 2014. The Bill implements the EU Directive on a single application procedure for a single permit for third-country nationals to reside and work in the territory of a Member State.