I’m worried that an elderly person I know is being abused. What can I do?

Domestic elder abuse can be reported to the domestic violence advice and reporting centre Veilig Thuis. You may also contact the centre to discuss suspicions of elder abuse.

Help and information on domestic violence

Veilig Thuis can provide help and information for:

  • victims
  • informal carers
  • relatives
  • bystanders
  • offenders
  • professionals such as nurses and GPs

You can contact Veilig Thuis day or night on 0800-2000 (free of charge).

Mandatory reporting code for domestic violence

In the event of domestic elder abuse, professionals must follow a mandatory reporting code for domestic violence and child abuse . The code sets out what steps they must take if they know or suspect that an elderly person is being abused by someone in their domestic setting.

A step-by-step plan has also been drawn up for dealing with abusive informal care, in addition to the reporting code.