What are the signs of elder abuse?
It is possible that an elderly person with bruising may have been abused. But elder abuse is not only physical or psychological maltreatment. It also includes things like financial exploitation, which is much more difficult to identify.
Signs of elder abuse
Signs of elder abuse include:
- visible injuries
- overreaction to unexpected physical contact
- incoherent explanations of injuries
- depression or inexplicable anxiety
- nervous or withdrawn behaviour
- unexplained expenditure
- unpaid bills and payment demands
- an empty refrigerator.
If you notice any of these signs, it may be an indication of elder abuse. Read what to do if you suspect elder abuse.