Obtaining approval for practical education for your child

Is your child likely unable to attain a voorbereidend middelbaar beroepsonderwijs – VMBO (preparatory vocational secondary education) diploma? If so, they may receive praktijkonderwijs (practical education). Praktijkonderwijs is a form of secondary education. It mainly teaches your child practical skills. Such as cooking or filling in forms. To enrol in praktijkonderwijs, your child needs a toelaatbaarheidsverklaring (declaration of admissibility). This proves that your child is entitled to praktijkonderwijs.

Last updated on 4 August 2022

Requesting a toelaatbaarheidsverklaring for praktijkonderwijs

Is praktijkonderwijs the best place for your child? If so, you may register your child at a school for practical education. This school will then request a toelaatbaarheidsverklaring  from the partnership group. A partnership group is a collaboration between ordinary schools and special education schools. Before the school requests the toelaatbaarheidsverklaring, it must consult with you and your child.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Secondary Education Act 2020, Article 2.30

WVO Implementation Decree 2020, Articles 2.46 and 2.47

Found what you were looking for?