Impact of Brexit on the rights of Dutch citizens in the United Kingdom

December 24, 2020, 4 pm: The information on this page will possibly be updated in accordance with the partnership between the EU and the UK.

During the transition period, nothing will change for Dutch nationals in the UK. Until 31 December 2020, all current EU agreements and rules will still apply to the UK. The EU and the UK have reached an agreement on the rights of EU citizens in the UK. This includes the rights of Dutch nationals in the UK. Most of their rights will remain the same after the transition period.

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands.

After the transition period

If you want to continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020, you must apply to the UK government for a residence permit by 30 June 2021 at the latest. You must also apply on behalf of your children if they do not have British or Irish nationality.

You need a valid passport or identity card when you submit your application. The Dutch embassy in London is therefore asking Dutch nationals to apply for a passport or identity card in good time. The embassy also advises you to retain all documents that show how long you have been living in the UK, to serve as evidence when you apply for settled status.

Settled status after living in the UK for more than 5 years

EU citizens who have lived in the UK for more than 5 years can apply to the UK government for settled status. This status gives EU citizens the right to continue living, working, building up a state pension and using public services in the UK, as they do now. If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you can apply for pre-settled status. After 5 years in the UK, you can convert to settled status.

Check wat you need to do to stay in the UK (settled status) if you or your family are from the EU on the website of 

Information and advice

The European Commission has published Q&As about the rights of EU citizens in the UK after Brexit. Their rights are included in the Brexit withdrawal agreement that the EU and UK have reeched. 

Dutch nationals who live in the United Kingdom can get information about Brexit from the Dutch embassy in London. The embassy organises regular information meetings. Go to the embassy's Facebook page for dates.  
You can also contact the Dutch government.

For consular matters, you can contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ 24/7 BZ Contact Centre.

For information about your pension, contact your pension fund. For information about your health insurance, contact your health insurance provider. If you are a student, you can find out about student finance from the Education Executive Agency (DUO). For other questions, contact the institution where you are studying.

If you receive a social security benefit in the Netherlands, you can get information about the current rules from the Social Insurance Bank (SVB) and the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV).