I am a British citizen living in the Netherlands. Where can I get help in applying for a residence document?

You need to apply to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) for a residence document. You can also contact the IND if you have any questions. Your local library may also be able to help. And your municipality may be able to provide financial assistance. 

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands.

Information on residence documents and application procedures

If you are a British citizen and want to continue living in the Netherlands after Brexit (Dutch) you will need to apply to the IND for a residence permit. You can read about the application procedure here. If you have any questions, go to questions and answers on Brexit for UK nationals in the Netherlands on the IND’s website. If you can’t find the information you need, contact the IND’s Brexit helpline on 088 04 30410. The helpline is open from Monday to Friday between 09.00 and 17.00.

Help with the form

Help filling in online forms (Dutch) is available in many libraries. A library assistant will show you what you need to do. Assistance is free of charge, and you don’t need to be a member.

Financial assistance from your municipality

If you have incurred extra costs due to your application for a residence document, you may be entitled to crisis payments (Dutch). The municipality will decide whether this is the case, depending on your financial situation and personal circumstances. 

Help for homeless British citizens

Are you homeless, or do you know someone who is homeless? The Salvation Army (Dutch) may be able to help you with your application. 

Questions and answers for British citizens in the Netherlands

You can find questions and answers for British citizens in the Netherlands on government.nl, for example on living in the Netherlands after Brexit.