Will I need to apply for a residence permit for the UK after Brexit?

This depends on how the United Kingdom withdraws from the EU: with a deal or without a deal.

Agreements in the event of a deal

If you want to continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020, you must submit your residence permit application to the UK government by 30 June 2021 at the latest. The same applies for your children if they do not have British or Irish nationality.

It is vital that you hold a valid passport or identity card when you submit your application. The Dutch embassy in London is therefore asking Dutch nationals to apply for these documents in good time. The embassy also advises you to retain all documents that show how long you have already lived in the UK, to serve as evidence when you apply for ‘settled status’.

‘Settled status’ after living for more than 5 years in the UK

EU citizens who have lived in the UK for more than 5 years can apply to the UK government for ‘settled status’. This status gives EU citizens the right to continue living, working, building up a state pension and using public services in the UK, as they do now. If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you can apply for ‘pre-settled status’. After 5 years in the UK, you can convert to ‘settled status’.

Applying after the date of withdrawal

The system is being phased in from late 2018 and will only be fully operational from the date of withdrawal. You can submit your application now if you have a valid passport. Applications are free as of the withdrawal date. Applicants who submitted their application before this date will get their money back.

Applying is simple

On 21 June 2018, the UK Home Office published a statement of intent on citizens’ rights. The statement sets out that the application and award of settled or pre-settled status must be as simple as possible. Applications may be submitted digitally. They will be approved if there are no exceptional circumstances (such as crime or security concerns).

Agreements in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit

The British government has announced that, in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit, EU citizens wishing to live and work in the UK for longer than 3 months after Brexit will need to apply for a residence permit (‘temporary leave to remain’).

If you were living in the UK before Brexit, you must apply for ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled status’ before 31 December 2020.

If you come to the UK after Brexit and wish to stay for longer than 3 months, you will need to apply for European temporary leave to remain within 3 months of arriving in the UK.

Please note that, in the event of a ‘no deal’ scenario, the UK is responsible for national legislation in this area. The UK is responsible for implementing the arrangements set out on this website.

Ministry responsible