Can I get money to make alterations to my home?

If you need alterations to your home, such as a stair lift or elevated toilet seat, you may be able to get some or all of the costs funded under the Social Support Act (WMO 2015) or the Chronic Care Act (WLZ). This depends on the nature and severity of your care needs.

Payment for alterations to your home under the WMO

The Social Support Act (WMO) provides support for people with an impairment –  elderly people, disabled people or people with psychiatric problems. This support can include alterations to your home.

Ask your municipal social support desk or your neighbourhood social support team whether you are eligible for funding for alterations to your home. You may have to pay a contribution towards those costs.

WLZ funding for alterations to your home

If you have a care needs assessment for care and support under the Chronic Care Act (WLZ) and you are receiving this care at home, you can apply for funding for alterations to your home. In 2015 and 2016 you can apply to your municipality for this. From 2017 you will have to apply to the care administration office.

Help with costs of moving house rather than making alterations

Some municipalities do not finance alterations but provide help with the costs of moving house, for example if the alterations would cost a lot of money.