How have care and support been organised?

Elderly people want to remain in their own homes for as long as possible. People with a disability want to live as independently as possible. That is why the government changed the way it organises care, in order to stop care becoming too expensive.

Care at home

Municipalities must ensure that people can live at home for as long as possible and continue to take part in the community. They first consider what elderly or disabled people can still do for themselves, and what relatives, friends and neighbours can do to help. If necessary, the municipality will provide support at home.

Home-based nursing and other medical care (including personal care) is also available.

Residential care

People who need constant care or supervision are eligible for residential care. Care institutions provide high-level care for vulnerable elderly people, people with disabilities and people with a psychiatric disorder. If they wish, and if it is practicable, they may continue to live at home and receive constant care there.

What laws apply to care services?

The organisation of long-term care is covered by the following laws:

Social Support Act (WMO 2015)

The Social Support Act states that municipalities must provide support to help people live independently and take part in society. They must also offer sheltered housing to people with a psychiatric disorder.

Healthcare Insurance Act (ZVW)

Nursing and personal care at home is covered by the Healthcare Insurance Act (ZVW).

Youth Act

Municipalities are responsible for almost all forms of care and support for minors.

Chronic Care Act (WLZ)

This Act covers high-level care for vulnerable elderly and people with disabilities. It replaces the Exceptional Medical Expenses Act (AWBZ).