Exemptions to the entry ban for elite athletes and their support staff
People who have been fully vaccinated can be exempted from the EU entry ban.
Travelling conditions for elite athletes and their support staff
Elite athletes and their support staff from a country to which an entry ban applies may travel to the Netherlands under the following conditions:
- Elite athletes and their support staff must have a note verbale or a letter of invitation from the Netherlands Olympic Committee (NOC*NSF) or the Royal Netherlands Football Association (KNVB) and if possible valid proof that they are participating in an international sporting event, tournament or match at the highest level, officially recognised by an international sports federation with which the Netherlands is affiliated. They can request an NOC*NSF letter of invitation from the relevant national sport federation in the Netherlands.
- Any elite athletes and/or support staff who require a visa must comply with all the applicable conditions, including sufficient financial means for their travel and accommodation and guarantees for a prompt departure. A guarantor’s declaration from the sport federation in the Netherlands is sufficient. The scope for return may be taken into account when the decision on the application is made.
- The elite athlete and their support staff must have a return ticket.
- Check in advance whether you are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result on arrival in the Netherlands. And whether you need to self-quarantine for 10 days on arrival in the Netherlands.
- The supporting documents referred to above (i.e. the note verbale, letter of invitation, statements, return ticket and, if applicable, guarantor's declaration) must be submitted to the border authorities (the Royal Military and Border Police) on arrival in the Netherlands.
- The regular border procedures based on the Schengen Borders Code apply. This means that the Royal Military and Border Police will check whether the elite athlete and their support staff meet all the conditions. The elite athlete and their support staff must also have a valid travel document and, if necessary, a short-stay visa. This depends on their nationality. The Royal Dutch Military and Border Police have the right to refuse the elite athlete and their support staff entry if there is a valid reason to do this.
- The elite athlete and their support staff must observe the coronavirus measures that apply in the Netherlands.
Check whether you:
- need a visa to travel to the Netherlands and
- are required to self-quarantine for 10 days on arrival in the Netherlands. This depends on the country you are travelling from.