EPCs for buyers and tenants

When you buy a new home, the previous owner must give you a definitive energy performance certificate. If you are a new tenant, the landlord must give you a copy of the EPC. Sitting tenants also have a right to a copy of the EPC.

Seller or landlord provides an EPC

Owners of residential properties are required to present an EPC when the properties are sold or rented or when construction is completed. As a tenant or buyer, you can receive the EPC in one of three ways:

  • When you buy a home

    When you buy a home, you should receive the definitive EPC from the previous owner no later than the time of conveyance (at the notary’s office).
  • When you are a new tenant

    As a new tenant, you should receive a copy of the definitive EPC when the lease is signed.
  • If you are a sitting tenant

    Are you a sitting tenant? In that case, the landlord is only required to give you an EPC if the lease took effect on or after 1 January 2008. For social housing (and only for social housing), the building’s energy efficiency is a factor in setting your rent.

What if the owner doesn’t give you an EPC?

Are you a buyer who did not receive an EPC at the time of conveyance? Or are you a new tenant who did not receive a copy of the EPC? In that case you should write to the buyer or landlord asking them to provide an EPC.

If the buyer or landlord does not respond, you can report the problem to the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate. As a last resort, you may take the case to court.