Spatial planning strategy for the subsurface - Summary
The policy strategy aims for safe, sustainable and efficient use of the underground space, with use offset by protective measures. It is a joint strategy of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy.
The main elements of the policy strategy are as follows.
- A focus on safety and engaging with local residents when new underground activities are planned.
- The provincial authorities take the lead in designating areas for drinking water extraction.
- The present government will not issue exploration licences for new gas fields on land. Gas extraction from small existing fields will be needed for some time to come.
- The potential of geothermal energy will be exploited wherever possible.
- Shale gas extraction is ruled out, now and under future governments.
- Carbon storage at sea. CO2 will not be stored on land as yet, though the future potential of this option will be explored.