Equal treatment for EU migrant workers and their families

Workers from the European Union and their families are entitled to equal treatment in the Netherlands, as laid down in the Dutch constitution. Workers who exercise their right to move freely within the EU are protected against discrimination.

Organisations for equal treatment

If you feel that you have been treated unequally, you can contact any of the organisations working to ensure equal treatment:

Antidiscrimination bureaus

An antidiscrimination bureau provides free help and advice in the event of discrimination. Every region has such a bureau, which can:

  • answer your questions;
  • act as mediator;
  • help you make a complaint to the police;
  • help you submit a complaint to the Netherlands Institute for Human Rights.

You can also make a report on www.discriminatie.nl (website in Dutch). The Antidiscrimination Bureau in your neighbourhood will then contact you. You can make your report anonymously if you wish.

Netherlands Institute for Human Rights

If you think you are being discriminated against or if you have a question about human rights, you can contact the Netherlands Institute for Human Rights. You can also submit a complaint. The institute will then review it and make a decision. 

Legal Aid and Advice Centre

The Legal Aid and Advice Centre (website in Dutch) can give you free legal advice, for example on work and income. You can contact them by phone or email, or visit in person.

Social Affairs and Employment Inspectorate

The Social Affairs and Employment Inspectorate checks whether employers comply with employment law. It also investigates complaints and other reports. You can submit a complaint about your employment conditions or working conditions.

Office of the National Ombudsman

The National Ombudsman independently investigates complaints about government authorities and protects the public’s interests. If you submit a complaint to a government authority but it is not dealt with to your satisfaction, you can report the matter to the Office of the National Ombudsman (subject to certain conditions).


If you have problems with a public authority in the Netherlands regarding EU rights, you can contact your country’s SOLVIT Centre via the online contact form. Together with the SOLVIT Centre in the Netherlands, your country’s SOLVIT Centre will try to solve the problems.

New in the Netherlands

The brochure New in the Netherlands provides all the information you need about living and working in the Netherlands. It is available in several languages.