How do I report the arrival of foreign workers?

Who has to report the information?

The duty to report applies to self-employed persons in certain sectors and employers from the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland with a temporary assignment in the Netherlands. Foreign employers should also report any employees they are bringing to the Netherlands to do the work in question. Employees do not have to report their arrival themselves.

What do I have to report?

In the online reporting system, you must submit information about:

  • your identity;
  • the identity of your client or company in the Netherlands;
  • the identity of any employees coming to work in the Netherlands temporarily;
  • the name of the contact person;
  • the identity of the person responsible for paying employees’ wages;
  • the nature and expected duration of the work;
  • the workplace address;
  • the social security contributions.

If you have an assignment in the Netherlands but do not yet know the exact location, report the information you do have and add more details later. However, the report must be made before you start the work in the Netherlands.

Workers registered with the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) before the duty to report takes effect

You do not need to make any arrangements for workers registered with the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) before the date that the duty to report takes effect and who are still working in the Netherlands on that date. The Social Affairs and Employment Inspectorate and the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) will still be able to get this information from the UWV.

Amending reported information

You can amend reported information at any time as from 1 March 2020. However, the original data will be saved. This ensures that what was originally reported and what has been amended can still be viewed.

Who can be a designated contact person and what is their role?

Only natural persons can be a contact person, i.e. not an administrative office. However, a natural person employed by an administrative office can be a contact person.

This person is the point of contact in the Netherlands for the foreign company or foreign self-employed person. This person must therefore be in the Netherlands to answer questions from the Social Affairs and Employment Inspectorate about the posting. The designated contact person must also be authorised to send and receive documents regarding the posting.

If a worker has dual nationality, which nationality do I report?

It is up to the workers themselves to choose their nationality. However, anyone wishing to work in the EU without an employment permit must have the nationality of one of the EU member states.