Obligation of foreign nationals to report a change of address

If you are living in the Netherlands as a foreign national with a residence permit and you are moving within the Netherlands or moving abroad, you must inform the municipality.

Last updated on 18 May 2021

Moving within the Netherlands

If you are moving to a new place of residence or accommodation in the Netherlands, you must notify the municipality of your change of address.

You can notify the municipality in person, in writing and in many cases also digitally. You must do this four weeks before or no later than five days after you move. In this case, you do not need to notify the IND, as the municipality will do this for you.

Moving abroad (emigrating)

If you are going to live abroad permanently, you must deregister from the Dutch municipality where you live. You can do this from five days before you leave. You must deregister in person.

If you have informed the municipality on time that you are going to emigrate, it is not necessary to report this separately to the IND. ‘On time’ means notifying the BRP (Personal Records Database) before you emigrate, as in that case, the IND will have already been informed.

NB: If you are late in informing the municipality of your change of address within the Netherlands or your emigration, you must inform the IND yourself. Depending on your situation, you can use the Report form for foreign nationals (in Dutch) or the Report form for a spouse and family members (referee) (in Dutch).
The IND may impose a fine if you fail to report your departure.

Returning your residence permit when you move abroad

Your residence permit is and remains the property of the Dutch Government. You must return your residence permit before you leave the Netherlands You can return your residence permit at an IND desk. You need to make an appointment to do this. You can also send your permit to the IND by post. The IND has more information on its website about leaving the Netherlands (in Dutch).

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Law on foreign nationals 2000, Article 54

Found what you were looking for?