I live in supported accommodation. Who covers the costs of my care and treatment?

As of 1 January 2015, supported accommodation falls under the Social Support Act 2015. This means local authorities are responsible for arranging and funding this form of assistance. If you are living in supported accommodation, your health insurer will cover the costs of your medical treatment.

Applying for supported accommodation

People with mental disorders or psychosocial problems may live in supported accommodation (the GGZ-C package) to help them manage on a day-to-day basis. You should go to the WMO Office in your municipality to apply for supported accommodation.

Transitional arrangement for people in supported accommodation

If you were already living in supported accommodation on 31 December 2014 based on a current AWBZ care needs assessment (GGZ-C package), you will be able to continue doing so for up to five years (until 1 January 2020 at the latest), or until

  • the date that your current AWBZ care needs assessment expires, if this date falls before 1 January 2020;
  • your local authority offers you a new arrangement which you decide to accept.

While you are still entitled to supported accommodation, your local authority may decide to change how and where it provides this assistance. The location, for instance, is not guaranteed under the transitional arrangement. Most likely, however, you will be able to continue living where you are now.

Co-payment for supported accommodation

Your local authority can charge a co-payment if you live in supported accommodation. The amount of the co-payment depends on your age, income and family situation. You will always have enough money left over for miscellaneous expenses and clothing. The Central Administrative Office (CAK) will bill you for the co-payment.

Personal budget (PGB) and supported accommodation

You may be eligible for a personal budget (PGB) from your local authority to finance living in supported accommodation. This is tied to conditions laid down by the local authority.