Applying for geboorteverlof as a partner

Has your partner just given birth? Then you are eligible for geboorteverlof (childbirth leave). Geboorteverlof must be taken within 4 weeks of your child being born.

Last updated 9 November 2021

Applying for geboorteverlof

Are you the birth mother’s partner and would you like to take geboorteverlof (in Dutch)? You are entitled to 1 week of leave within the first 4 weeks after the birth of your child. Ask your employer for geboorteverlof as soon as possible after the birth of your child. You also need to indicate on which days you intend to take the leave. You must apply in writing by letter or email. The 4-week period does not change even if your child needs to stay in hospital for some time.

Taking aanvullend geboorteverlof

If your partner has just given birth, in addition to 1 week geboorteverlof , you can take aanvullend geboorteverlof (additional childbirth leave) (link in Dutch). You are entitled to a maximum of 5 weeks of leave (5 times the number of hours that you work per week). Aanvullend geboorteverlof must be taken within 6 months of the birth of your child. You must first take 1 week of geboorteverlof. Only after this first week of leave can you start taking the aanvullend geboorteverlof. You must request aanvullend geboorteverlof 4 weeks in advance.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Work and Care Act, Article 4:2, 4:2a, 4:2b and 4:2c

Found what you were looking for?