Registering with the municipality

Do you intend to live in the Netherlands for more than 4 months? Then you must register in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database). You can do this at the municipality where you intend to live. 

Last updated on 26 September 2022

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

Registering your home or postal address

You must register in the BRP at the municipality where your intended address is located. There is no charge for this.

If you have no fixed address, you must register your postal address. For example, if you are a ship’s captain, or where the institution that you are in, such as a prison or psychiatric facility, is located.  

Are you moving from one municipality to another municipality in the Netherlands? Then you must notify the new municipality of your change of address.

Register within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands

You must register with the municipality within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands. You can do this at your municipality. Are your partner and/or children are coming with you to the Netherlands? They must come with you to the municipality.

Once you register in the BRP, you will receive a Burgerservicenummer – BSN (citizen service number). You will need this number for any contact with the Government of the Netherlands, such as when managing your taxes.

Exceptions: registering later or in a different way

There are some exceptions for registering with the municipality. In some situations you can register later than 5 days or in a different way. The exceptions are as follows:

  • You are going to be living in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. Then you can register in the BRP as a non-resident. For this you can use an address outside the Netherlands. You will still receive a BSN. 
  • You do not have valid residence status, and to be allowed to stay in the Netherlands, you need a verblijfsvergunning (residence permit). If you are waiting for your residence permit to arrive, you do not have to register within 5 days.
  • You are unable to prove your identity. This may require additional investigation. Registering with the municipality can then wait until the outcome of this investigation. After that, you will have to register. 

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Wet basisregistratie personen, artikelen 2.19, 2.20, 2.38 en 2.39

Besluit basisregistratie personen, artikelen 21, 22, 23, en 29 eerste lid

Regeling basisregistratie personen

Found what you were looking for?