Applying for maternity benefit and childbirth benefit (WAZO-uitkering)

Are you pregnant? Have you been granted zwangerschapsverlof (maternity leave) and bevallingsverlof (childbirth leave) by your employer? Then you are entitled to receive a zwangerschaps- en bevallingsuitkering – WAZO (maternity and childbirth benefit) during the period of your leave. The benefit will last as long as your leave. Are you currently receiving other benefits? Then you are also entitled to a zwangerschaps- en bevallingsuitkering.

Last updated 10 November 2021

Timing of leave and benefits

You receive zwangerschapsverlof and zwangerschapsuitkering before you give birth. You receive bevallingsverlof and bevallingsuitkering once you have given birth. You apply for zwangerschaps- en bevallingsuitkering – WAZO at the same time.

WAZO-uitkering conditions

Do you want to receive a WAZO-uitkering (in Dutch)? Then you must meet certain conditions. For example, you must be employed or be receiving a WW-uitkering (unemployment benefit) or a WGA-uitkering (sickness or wage-related return-to-work benefit). 

Do you have your own business? Then you can receive the WAZO-uitkering as a self-employed person (in Dutch). 

Applying for a WAZO-uitkering

Are you employed? Then your employer will apply for the WAZO-uitkering (in Dutch) for you through the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employment Insurance Agency). 

Are you receiving a WW-uitkering or a WGA-uitkering? Then you must apply for the WAZO-uitkering (in Dutch) yourself through the UWV.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Found what you were looking for?