Higher education

Higher education comprises higher professional education (HBO) and university education (WO). These types of education are provided by HBO institutions (hogescholen) and universities respectively. 

Bachelor's and master's degrees

All HBO and university courses fall under the bachelor-master system. Bachelor's degree programmes are broader, while master's degree programmes lead to specialisation in a chosen field. HBO bachelor's degree programmes take four years, university bachelor's programmes three. A master's degree programme takes up to two years, while master's programmes in engineering can last longer.

European Credit Transfer System

Students' workload is determined using the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), with one credit representing 28 hours of work. Students must attain at least 60 credits per year.

Higher professional education (HBO)

The 43 HBO institutions, or universities of higher professional education, together offer 200 programmes in a wide range of disciplines. They provide theoretical and practical training for occupations for which a higher vocational qualification is either required or useful. Graduates find employment in various fields, including middle and high-ranking jobs in trade and industry, social services, health care and the public sector.

University education

Universities combine academic research and teaching. University education focuses on training in academic disciplines, the independent pursuit of scholarship and the application of scholarly knowledge in the context of a profession and aims to improve understanding of the phenomena studied in the various disciplines and generate new knowledge.

The Netherlands has 13 universities, including three universities of technology. Wageningen University is financed by the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Agriculture and Innovation because of its agricultural roots.  

The government grant awarded to a university depends in part on performance indicators, such as the number of first-year students, and the number of bachelor's and master's degrees awarded. Universities may use the government grant for either teaching or research as they see fit. Universities bear the cost of housing and infrastructure themselves.

HBO institutions receive funding from a variety of sources, including government grants, tuition fees and revenues from contracts with third parties (primarily to provide education). Nearly 92% of the total government grant is paid as a block grant that the institution may spend as it sees fit on personnel, material and housing costs.

The biggest change in the higher education system in recent years was the introduction of the bachelor-master system in 2002 in order to increase students' international mobility. In keeping with this change, the accreditation system was simplified. Programmes must meet certain quality standards in order to be accredited.

Diploma supplement

Under Dutch law, the diploma supplement issued by higher education institutions must use the template jointly developed by the European Commission, the Council of Europe and UNESCO.

Interested in studying in the Netherlands?

The Nuffic (Dutch Organisation for International Cooperation in Higher Education) provides extensive information for students interested in coming to the Netherlands to study at a HBO institution or university.

Legalising foreign qualifications

Do you have a foreign educational qualification, and do you want to know what its Dutch equivalent is? Or do you want to work or study in the Netherlands after obtaining a foreign qualification?

Two bodies evaluate various types of foreign qualification:

Certain fees apply for these services.

Check before you enroll

Before you register for a study programme at a higher education institution in the Netherlands, please make sure it is an institution that is recognised by the Dutch authorities and the programme that is offered is accredited by the NVAO. If an institution offers bachelors, masters or other programmes that have not been accredited by the NVAO, but by a body in another country, the degrees may be recognised in that country, but not in the Netherlands.


The Dutch higher education system is binary, consisting of research-intensive universities offering bachelors, masters and Ph.D. programmes on the one hand, and universities of applied sciences, offering predominantly professionally oriented bachelors (and some masters) programmes, on the other. Combined, Dutch institutions offer more than 1,560 international study programmes and courses. Most of these are recognised by the Dutch ministry of Education, Culture and Science and therefore registered in the Central Register of Higher Education Programmes (CROHO), which is currently only available in Dutch.


The institutions are only permitted to offer international students duly accredited degree education. The Dutch Higher Education and Research Act requires that all degree programmes offered by research universities and universities of applied sciences be assessed according to a set of criteria. This is called accreditation. Accreditation in the Netherlands is a 'formal and independent decision indicating that an institution or programme meets certain predefined quality standards which, from an international perspective, can be reasonably expected of a bachelors or masters programme'. The Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders carries out this task. The NVAO only accredits bachelors and masters programmes. Ph.D. programmes are the responsibility of the individual university and therefore fall outside the scope of the accreditation process.

Higher-level short courses and customised programmes may also be offered to international students. If these are also a recognised element in an accredited bachelors or masters programme, their quality is guaranteed. If the course or customised programme cannot be identified as part of an accredited bachelors or masters programme, the institution must demonstrate the quality of the course or customised programme. Be aware that diplomas from short courses and customised programmes are not eligible for legalisation / authentication / certification.

Students will be awarded recognised degrees only after completing a recognised degree programme, and only diplomas from recognised programmes will be eligible for legalisation/authentication/certification. For more information, please contact DUO.

Code of Conduct

All Dutch higher education institutions that wish to recruit international students and avail themselves of national scholarship programmes must adhere to the Code of Conduct. This Code establishes a series of rules setting a quality standard that the educational programmes offered to international students must meet. In return, the Dutch immigration services simplify, unify and accelerate visa procedures. The Code thus serves as a method of quality assurance for the higher education institutions. An independent commission monitors compliance with the Code. International students and other stakeholders can file complaints with this commission if they believe an institution is contravening the rules set out in the Code of Conduct.

Student accommodation

Do the rules that apply to individual households also apply to student accommodation?

No, people who live in a commune, residential home or student accommodation are not considered members of the same household. But they too should only go out alone where possible and keep a distance of 1.5 metres from others who are not members of their family/household. A household means members of the same family – such as spouses or partners, parents, grandparents and children – who live at the same address. 

Can students be fined if they don’t keep 1.5 metres apart inside their home?

The current ban on gathering in groups only applies to public spaces. At present, groups of three or more people must keep a distance of 1.5 metres in public spaces. Students will not be fined for failing to keep 1.5 metres apart in their own home or on their balcony. Nevertheless, they are urgently advised to be alert to the risk of infecting housemates inside the home, too, and to reduce it as much as possible.

If a student suspects they might be infected, should all their housemates stay at home?

Even if they themselves are symptom-free, people are urgently advised not to go out but to quarantine themselves at home if someone they live with has cold symptoms as well as a fever/difficulty breathing, and to remain in such quarantine until everyone they live with has been symptom-free for 24 hours.