Applying for special assistance

If you have a low income and it is impossible for you to pay exceptional and unexpected costs, you may be entitled to extra financial support from the municipality. This is called bijzondere bijstand (special assistance). 

Last updated on 11 October 2021

Special assistance conditions

Special assistance is subject to the following conditions among others: 

  • You are lawfully living and staying in the Netherlands. 

  • You do not have enough income and funds to pay the costs yourself. 

  • You are at least 18 years old. 

  • You have expenses due to an exceptional or urgent situation, such as surgery or moving house. 

  • You cannot cover the costs in any other way. 

Your municipality can tell you what other conditions apply in your situation. 

Find out more in the questions and answers on assistance

Requesting special assistance from your municipality

You can find out how to apply for special assistance on your municipality’s website. Your municipality will determine whether you are entitled to special assistance, and if so, how much. 

If you have any questions about your situation, contact your municipality. You can also contact the Sociaal Raadslieden (social counsellors) in your municipality. They provide free information and advice on legal problems. 

If there are no Sociaal Raadsleden in your municipality, check the Sociaal Werk Nederland website (in Dutch). On this website, you will find Sociaal Raadslieden near you (in Dutch). 

You can also get free legal advice (in Dutch) from Het Juridisch Loket (Legal Services Counter). Het Juridisch Loket provides clients with advice and information on all areas of law. All consultations are confidential and free of charge. 

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Participation Act, Chapter 4

Found what you were looking for?