Who gets the free hepatitis B vaccination?
The hepatitis B vaccination is given free of charge to babies taking part in the National Immunisation Programme. The vaccination is also given to people with a higher risk of contracting hepatitis B.
High-risk groups for hepatitis B infection
The high-risk groups eligible for vaccination against hepatitis B in the Netherlands are:
- children whose mothers are infected with the hepatitis B virus;
- children whose parents come from a country where hepatitis B commonly occurs;
- children with Down’s syndrome;
- certain patient groups, including people suffering from haemophilia (a bleeding disorder);
- people whose lifestyle puts them at greater risk, including men who have sex with men;
- healthcare professionals.
Free hepatitis B vaccination
If you fall into 1 of the high-risk groups, you can make an appointment with your municipal health service to obtain a free hepatitis B vaccination.