The Netherlands is one of the 28 member states of the European Union (EU). We work with our fellow member states to ensure a strong Union. EU member states can join forces in a wide variety of areas, including trade, security, agriculture and fisheries, and the environment and climate. The Netherlands influences EU policy in all these areas.
In the spotlight
The Netherlands to hold EU Presidency in 2016
In the first half of 2016 the Netherlands will hold the Presidency of the European Union for the 12th time.
All about European Union
- The Netherlands to hold Presidency of the EU in 2016
- The Netherlands: EU member state
- The Netherlands and developments within the EU
- The Netherlands and EU policy areas
- The Netherlands and the EU internal market
- Europe 2020
- European Union budget
- The Schengen countries