Applying for substitute consent for acknowledgement of a child

If, as the father of a child, you wish to acknowledge the child, you will need the mother’s consent. You will also need the child’s consent once the child has reached the age of 12. If the mother or child withholds their consent for acknowledgement, then you can apply to the court for substitute consent.

Last updated on 10 August 2021

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

Consent of mother and child

If the child is aged 12 or older, then consent will be needed from the child and the mother. Once the child has reached the age of 16, only the child’s consent is needed.

Applying for substitute consent

Applications for substitute consent (in Dutch) are made to the district court. You will need a lawyer to do this on your behalf.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Burgerlijk Wetboek Boek 1, artikel 204

Found what you were looking for?