Registering the location where you keep horses

Do you keep horses or other equine animals such as ponies, donkeys or zebras in the Netherlands? If so, you must register their location with the Rijksdienst voor Ondernemend Nederland – RVO (Netherlands Enterprise Agency). You must also register any other equine animals that are kept at this location.

Last updated on 10 February 2023

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

When registration is mandatory

Is your horse or equine animal kept at the same location for more than 30 days? If so, then you must register that location with the RVO. Horses that stay at this location for more than 30 days must be linked to that location via the system.

Applying for a Uniek Bedrijfsnummer (UBN) for a location and horse

In order to register the location you need a Uniek Bedrijfsnummer (UBN). In English this is a Unique Company Number. You can register the location by applying to the RVO for a UBN (in Dutch). The owner or tenant of the location can apply for the UBN. You can also register horses and equine animals on the RVO website.

Equine passport

In addition to registering your horse and location, you must apply for an equine passport for your horse or equine animal.

Laws and regulations

EU Regulation 2016/429 (Animal Health Law), Articles 108 and 114

Have you found what you were looking for?