Impact of Brexit on the rights of Dutch citizens in the United Kingdom

Impact of Brexit on the rights of Dutch citizens in the United Kingdom (UK).

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands.

You were already living in the UK before 1 January 2021: apply for settled or pre-settled status

If you were living in the UK before 1 January 2021, you may continue to live and work there in 2021. However, you will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme on the UK government website for settled or pre-settled status. You can apply until the 1 July 2021. Any of your family members who do not have British or Irish nationality will also have to apply.

You need a valid passport or identity card when you submit your application. The Dutch embassy in London is therefore asking Dutch nationals to apply for a passport or identity card in good time. The embassy also advises you to retain all documents that show how long you have been living in the UK, to serve as evidence when you apply for settled status.

Settled status after living in the UK for more than 5 years

EU citizens who have lived in the UK for more than 5 years can apply to the UK government for settled status. This status gives EU citizens the right to continue living, working, building up a state pension and using public services in the UK, as they do now. If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you can apply for pre-settled status. After 5 years in the UK, you can convert to settled status.

Check wat you need to do to stay in the UK (settled status) if you or your family are from the EU on the website of

New rules for long and short stays in the UK as of 2021

British regulations determine whether you can live and work in the UK. The UK has a points-based immigration system. To live and work in the UK you must meet specific requirements. For example, you must earn over a certain amount and have sufficient command of the English language. Find out more about the UK’s points-based immigration system on the UK government website. 

Information and advice

The European Commission has published Q&As about the rights of EU citizens in the UK after Brexit

Dutch nationals who live in the United Kingdom can get information about Brexit from the Dutch embassy in London. The embassy organises regular information meetings. Go to the embassy's Facebook page for dates.  You can also contact the Dutch government.

Read the Q&As about Brexit for Dutch citizens in the UK on this website.

For consular matters, you can contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Netherlands Worldwide contact centre.

For information about your pension, contact your pension fund. For information about your health insurance, contact your health insurance provider. If you are a student, you can find out about student finance from the Education Executive Agency (DUO). For other questions, contact the institution where you are studying.

If you receive a social security benefit in the Netherlands, you can get information about the current rules from the Social Insurance Bank (SVB) and the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV).