EU entry ban exemption categories

An EU entry ban is in effect for people travelling from non-EU/Schengen countries (including the United Kingdom) with a high COVID-19 risk, unless the purpose of their trip falls under one of the following exemption categories. If you have been fully vaccinated and meet the conditions you can also travel to the Netherlands. This exemption does not apply to you if you are travelling from a very high-risk area with a virus variant of concern. To be considered fully vaccinated you must have received your last initial vaccination at least 14 days ago.

Safe countries

If you are travelling from a non-EU/Schengen area where the risk of contracting COVID-19 is low (a safe country), you may travel to the Netherlands. The EU entry ban does not apply to you.

You always need to show a negative test result if you are travelling from a safe country outside the EU/Schengen area. 

Documents to prove the purpose of your journey

If the purpose of your trip to the Netherlands is on the list of exemption categories, take documents which you can show at the airport in the Netherlands to prove the purpose of your trip. These documents must be in Dutch, English or Spanish.

EU entry ban exemption categories

Negative test result and self-quarantine

Before travelling to the Netherlands, check whether you:

Visa procedure

If, on the basis of your nationality, you require a visa, the usual visa procedure applies. Only apply for a visa if you can submit it to an embassy or external service provider and can actually travel to the Netherlands. You should also check IATA’s international travel requirements.