The programme targets three regions: the Sahel, the Middle East and North Africa, and the Horn of Africa.
- The Sahel has a young population. Three out of four people are younger than 34;
- Due to huge spending on national security, there is less money left for education;
- 90% of all jobs are in the informal economy;
- The region is fragile, poverty is rife and the state is often absent;
- Young people lack prospects but are increasingly making their demand for a place within the political system heard.