Applying for divorce

If you are married and want a divorce, you must submit a petition for divorce to the district court. The same applies to the dissolution of your marriage after judicial separation.

Last updated on 10 August 2021

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

Drawing up a parenting plan

If you have children under the age of 18, you must firstly draw up a parenting plan. This contains the agreements you have made about the care and upbringing of your children. You can then start divorce proceedings.

Submitting a petition for divorce

You can submit your petition for divorce (in Dutch) to the district court. You will need a lawyer to do this.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Burgerlijk Wetboek Boek 1 (ontbinding van het huwelijk)

Wetboek van Burgerlijke Rechtsvordering

Found what you were looking for?