Applying for judicial separation

If you are married and want judicial separation, you must submit an application for judicial separation to the district court. After a judicial separation, you are still married in the eyes of the law but you do not live together.

Last updated on 10 August 2021

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

Drawing up a parenting plan

If you have children under the age of 18, you must firstly draw up a parenting plan. This contains the agreements you have made about the care and upbringing of your children. You can then start the judicial separation procedure (in Dutch).

Applying for judicial separation

You can submit your application for judicial separation (in Dutch) to the district court. You will need a lawyer to do this.

Judicial separation decree

The decision of the district court is included in the judicial separation decree. The district court will send this document to you and your former partner. The district court will also register the judicial separation decree in the huwelijksgoederenregister (marital property register) (in Dutch).

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Burgerlijk Wetboek Boek 1, titel 10

Wetboek van Burgerlijke Rechtsvordering

Found what you were looking for?