Mandatory EPCs for buildings

An energy performance certificate is usually required when homes, commercial and public buildings (such as schools or hospitals) are put up for sale or rent.

Buildings for which an EPC is required

An EPC is required when one of the following buildings is put up for sale or rent:

Residential buildings

  • houses and apartments
  • caravans meant for permanent occupation
  • recreational properties which either are used for more than four months a year or have an expected energy consumption of more than 25% of what would be the result of all-year use
  • multiple-occupancy residences with common rooms (the entire property is treated as a single building for the purposes of the EPC).

Non-residential buildings

  • healthcare facilities (clinical and non-clinical)
  • government buildings
  • hotels, restaurants, bars and cafés
  • office buildings
  • serviced offices
  • meeting facilities, including theatres
  • sports facilities
  • retail facilities.

Buildings that do not require an EPC

No EPC is required for the following buildings:

  • listed historic buildings (under the Monuments and Historic Buildings Act 1988 or a provincial or municipal ordinance)
  • religious buildings (such as churches and mosques)
  • detached properties with a usable floor area of less than 50 square metres, such as houseboats.
  • agricultural and other commercial properties meant for storage or processing
  • temporary structures (such as site huts, temporary retail facilities and temporary classrooms in schools)
  • recreational properties which are used for less than four months a year and have an expected energy consumption of less than 25% of what would be the result of all-year use
  • buildings where no energy is used for indoor temperature regulation (like sheds or garages).