Applying for foster care benefit

Are you welcoming a foster child into your family and taking pleegzorgverlof (foster care leave)? You are then entitled to receive pleegzorguitkering (foster care benefit) during the period of your leave. The paid allowance lasts as long as your leave.

Last updated on 4 November 2021

Eligibility for foster care benefit

To receive pleegzorguitkering (in Dutch), you must meet certain conditions. For example, you must be employed or be receiving a WW-uitkering (unemployment benefit) or a WGA-uitkering (sickness benefit or wage-related return-to-work benefits). All the conditions (in Dutch) are on the UWV (Employee Insurance Agency) website. 

Applying for foster care benefit

If you are an employee, your employer will apply for the pleegzorguitkering for you. 

If you receive a WW-uitkering or a WGA-uitkering you must apply for pleegzorguitkering (in Dutch) from the UWV yourself. 

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Work and Care Act, Section 2 

Found what you were looking for?