Involving the Rent Tribunal

If you have a dispute with your landlord, for example about the amount of rent you are paying, or maintenance of your property, you may be able to ask the Rent Tribunal for a decision on the issue. A decision by the Rent Tribunal is binding. This means that you and your landlord must both comply with the decision.

Last updated on 26 January 2021

What types of disputes are heard by the Rent Tribunal?

You can ask the Rent Tribunal for a ruling if you have a dispute about:

This only applies to the social housing sector. In some cases, the Rent Tribunal also handles disputes in the private housing sector (in Dutch). The Rent Tribunal’s website provides all the information on what types of disputes are heard by the Rent Tribunal.

Submitting an application to the Rent Tribunal

You can start proceedings before the Rent Tribunal (in Dutch) by submitting an application form. There is a separate application form (in Dutch) for the different types of proceedings.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Civil Code, Book 7

Implementing law on rents and housing

Found what you were looking for?