How do I apply for a certificate of conduct (VOG)?

You can obtain a certificate of conduct (VOG) from your municipality, via the internet or from the Integrity and Screening Agency (Justis). The right way to obtain a VOG depends on why you need it and whether or not you are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP).

In most cases you will need a VOG for the purposes of a job. If you are registered in the BRP, you can apply via the internet or to your municipality. If you are not registered, you must apply directly to Justis. In all cases, Justis decides whether or not a VOG should be issued.

Applying for a VOG

You can obtain a VOG in one of three ways:

  • From your municipality

    You need a VOG because you are applying for a job or a work permit, or you want to emigrate, etc. Send a fully completed application form (PDF, 0.18MB) to the municipality in which you are registered. If you need a VOG for a job, your current or future employer will usually provide the application form. The employer will already have completed and signed part of the form. You must identify yourself at the municipality. A fee is payable when you apply for a VOG. The VOG is free of charge for a large group of volunteers as per 2015.
  • Via the internet

    You can apply for a VOG via the internet only if your current or future employer starts the application procedure. How you and your employer should apply for a VOG via the internet is explained on Justis’s website.
  • From Justis

    If you are not registered in the BRP, you must apply directly to Justis, for example if you are working temporarily in the Netherlands or live abroad. Complete the application form (PDF, 0.18MB) and send it to Justis, t.a.v. afdeling COVOG, Postbus 16115, 2500 BC Den Haag. Justis can also help businesses (legal persons) that need a VOG. For instance, if they wish to conclude a contract or join an industry association. A separate application form is available for legal persons (in Dutch, pdf, 0,24 MB).