Appealing against a traffic penalty

If you have committed a minor traffic offence, for instance exceeding the speed limit, you will receive a penalty notice from the Central Judicial Collection Agency (CJIB). This notice provides the details of your offence and the amount of the penalty you must pay. There are some traffic offences you can appeal against if you disagree with the penalty notice.

Last updated on 26 May 2021

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

Mulder cases

You can only appeal against minor traffic offences, e.g. if you parked in a place where parking is not allowed, or if you drove through a red light. These minor offences (in Dutch) are called 'Mulder cases'. You can tell if your case is a Mulder case because there will be a large letter M in the top right-hand corner of the letter from the CJIB.

Appealing against a traffic penalty

You can appeal against a traffic penalty (in Dutch) by contacting the Public Prosecutor’s Office.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Wet administratiefrechtelijke handhaving verkeersvoorschriften

Found what you were looking for?