Applying for a European pet passport

Are you are bringing your pet dog, cat or ferret to the Netherlands or to another country in the European Union (EU)? Then you must apply for a European pet passport. Pet passports can be obtained from an authorised vet. For other pets, a health certificate from your own vet is often sufficient. 

Last updated on 14 April 2022

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

Rules on bringing pet dogs, cats or ferrets with you

If you are travelling within the EU with your pet dog, cat or ferret, then your pet: 

  • must have a European pet passport; 

  • must have an identification chip, or a clearly readable tattoo that was made before 3 July 2011; 

  • must have been vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days before departure; 

  • must have been treated for fox tapeworm. This applies only to dogs, and not to cats or ferrets, and only applies to travel to Malta, Finland and Ireland. 

You may bring a maximum of 5 pets (dogs, cats or ferrets) with you. If you are travelling with more pets, then you must be able to prove: 

  • that they are taking part in an exhibition, competition or sporting event. You can prove this, for example, by showing entry forms. If an exhibition or competition is not the reason for your trip, then the commercial rules for transporting pets apply.

  • that your pet is older than 6 months. 

Travelling with other pets (i.e. not pet dogs, cats or ferrets)

A health certificate from the vet is enough if you are travelling with: 

  • rabbits and small rodents 

  • birds 

  • reptiles 

  • fish and amphibians. 

For more information, please read the health requirements for pets for each EU country, or contact the embassy of the country you intend to visit

Applying for a European pet passport

You can obtain a European pet passport from any vet. 

The European pet passport is valid for life, subject to one condition: you must ensure that your pet is up to date with its anti-rabies vaccination. The length of time between a booster dose is between 1 and 3 years, depending on the vaccine. Your vet must log this in the European pet passport.

Laws and regulations

Regulation (EU) No 576/2013 on the non-commercial movement of pet animals 

Besluit houders van dieren (in Dutch)

Regeling houders van dieren (in Dutch)

Found what you were looking for?