Can I object to a WOZ decision?

You can object to the WOZ value given in the WOZ decision. Before making a formal objection, you can ask your municipality (or the municipal partnership) whether your WOZ decision can be changed. This is known as an informal objection. There are no costs due to the informal objection.

If you and the municipality cannot reach an agreement, you can start a formal objection procedure. You must do this within 6 weeks of the date on the original WOZ decision. There is no charge for this.

Making an objection

The WOZ decision explains how to submit an objection to your municipality. In your objection you should state why you do not agree with the WOZ value. You must submit your objection within 6 weeks of the date on the WOZ decision. After this period you can no longer submit an objection and the WOZ value is fixed.

Decision on objection by municipality

The municipality must give a decision by the end of the calendar year in which you made your objection. If you submitted your objection in the last 6 weeks of the year, the municipality must give a decision within 6 weeks. The municipality can extend the term by a maximum of 6 weeks.

Appealing against the municipality’s decision

If you do not agree with the municipality’s decision on your objection, you may ask the administrative law sector of the district court to review the decision. If you do not agree with the district court’s decision, you can appeal to the tax division of the appeal court. You will have to pay court fees (in Dutch) in both cases. 

More information about lodging an application for review or an appeal is given in the municipality’s or district court’s decision.