Applying for a transition licence number

Have you purchased a vehicle outside of the Netherlands and do you want to take it to another country via the Netherlands? Does that vehicle not have number plates issued in the Netherlands? If so, you will need a transitokentekenbewijs (transition licence number) (also referred to as a doorvoerkentekenbewijs). This licence number allows you to drive temporarily on roads in the Netherlands. The licence number is also valid in all other countries in the world. 

Last updated on 14 August 2022

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

Applying for a transition licence number

You can apply for the transition licence number from the Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer – RDW (Netherlands Vehicle Authority). The transition licence number is valid for 14 days. 

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Kentekenreglement, artikel 4

Regeling transitokentekens

Have you found what you were looking for