Applying for care leave

Do you need to take time off work to care for someone close to you? Some one such as a sick child, partner, parent, other relative, friend or someone close to you? Then you can take zorgverlof (care leave), either short-term or long-term. For both short- and long-term care leave, further arrangements may be made under your employer's collectieve arbeidsovereenkomst – CAO (collective employment agreement) or in agreement with the Ondernemingsraad (works council).

Last updated on 18 January 2023

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

Short-term care leave

Is someone close to you ill and you want to care for them? Or do you have to go to a medical appointment with them? Then you are allowed to take short-term care leave. However, it is understood that the sick person needs care and that only you, and nobody else, can take care of them.

Long-term care leave

Is your partner, child or parent life-threateningly ill? This is a difficult situation during which it would be difficult to work at the same time. You will then be able to take long-term care leave.

Care leave and salary

If you take care leave, this has an effect on your salary. If you take short-term care leave, you will receive at least 70% of your salary, but never less than the minimum wage. You do not have the right to a salary during long-term care leave. 

Holiday days during care leave

During care leave, your statutory holiday days will continue to build up. Your employer is not allowed to deduct leave days from your statutory holidays days.

If your employer does not agree to care leave

Has your employer refused your application? Your employer may only refuse short- and long-term care leave if this leave would cause serious problems at work. 

Do you not agree with your employer about your request? Contact the personnel department where you work or your trade union. There are also other forms of legal advice available in the Netherlands (in Dutch), some free of charge.

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Wet arbeid en zorg, hoofdstuk 5, afdeling 1

Wet arbeid en zorg, hoofdstuk 5, afdeling 2

Found what you were looking for?