Using proof of recovery to generate a COVID Certificate (for people living in The Netherlands)
If you have had coronavirus, you can get proof of recovery. Proof of recovery shows that you previously tested positive for coronavirus. You may need this proof to travel to a country outside the EU/Schengen area.
Requirements for proof of recovery for travel
If you want to use your proof of recovery to travel, you can only do this if:
- you tested positive following a PCR test conducted by the municipal health service (GGD). Antigen tests are not permitted in this case
- you tested positive a PCR test conducted by another test provider and that test provider passed on your test details to the GGD
- you tested positive at least 11 days ago
- you tested positive no longer than 180 days ago.
Information retrieved from GGD system only
CoronaCheck retrieves positive test results from the municipal health service (GGD). The GGD system contains the results of all tests conducted by the GGD. As of 13 October 2021 CoronaCheck can also convert positive results of tests conducted by other test providers into proof of recovery, even if the test was done before this date. However, the test provider must pass on the details to the GGD.
If your self-test is positive and you need proof of recovery, get tested by the GGD (coronatest.nl).
Serological test not sensitive or precise enough
You cannot prove that you have recovered from COVID-19 using a serological test because:
- these tests are not always sensitive enough to show a person’s level of immunity; and
- the result does not show when the infection occurred. Proof of recovery is only valid for 180 days from the day of the positive test.
The National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) and Sanquin do however use serological tests for population screening.
Retrieving proof of recovery via CoronaCheck
There are two options for getting a QR code:
- generate digital proof of recovery in the CoronaCheck app; or
- print paper proof of recovery on CoronaCheck.nl.
Your proof of recovery will state the date until which it is valid.
Validity proof of recovery
180 days after your positive test result your proof of recovery will no longer be valid. If you want to travel after that, you will have to get one dose of the vaccine (for proof of vaccination) or be able to show a negative test result.
Proof of recovery was previously valid for longer. In the CoronaCheck app the validity period has been corrected automatically.
One dose is sufficient if you have had coronavirus
If you have had coronavirus, one dose of the vaccine will provide you with sufficient protection. Once you have received one dose of the vaccine, you can request proof of vaccination. Of course, you can choose to receive two doses if you prefer.