Post COVID Condition (Long COVID)
Some people continue to experience health problems long after a coronavirus infection (COVID-19). When these problems persist for 3 months or more, this is referred to as Post COVID condition, or long COVID. A lot of research is being done, both in the Netherlands and other countries, to find out more about this new condition.
Prolonged health problems after COVID-19
People with Post COVID condition often report the following symptoms:
- difficulty concentrating
- memory problems
- shortness of breath
- over-sensitivity to light and sound
- depressive mood/irritability
- problems sleeping
- muscle ache
These problems can last for several months or more. The type and severity of the problems is different for everyone. Some people report an improvement over time. This list does not include all the symptoms experienced by people with Post COVID condition. An article in the British journal The Lancet lists nearly 200 symptoms.
The common term for Post COVID condition is long COVID, but the symptoms don’t usually develop until after the initial infection. So it is more accurate to use the term Post COVID condition.
More information (in Dutch) about the symptoms associated with Post COVID condition
- C-support: feiten en cijfers - klachten
- Klachten na corona | PostCovid NL
- Thuisarts – lang klachten na corona
Coalition against Post COVID condition
The Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport is working with several organisations to gain more insight into Post COVID condition and support sufferers. The ministry’s partners include:
- C-support: a non-profit organisation that supports and advises people with Post COVID condition, and shares knowledge on the condition with health and care professionals. C-support is paid to do this by the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport.
- National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM): RIVM works towards a healthy population living in a sustainable, safe and healthy environment. RIVM pursues this goal through independent scientific research. It also provides advice to the government, to professionals and to members of the public.
- PostCovid NL: a patient organisation for everyone experiencing prolonged health problems after COVID-19. It is part of the Longfonds, the patient organisation for lung patients. PostCOVID NL helps people with Post COVID condition pick up their lives again by providing reliable information and advice, advocacy and a platform for contact between sufferers (digitally and in real life).
- ZonMw: the Dutch organisation for health research and care innovation works on a wide range of health issues. Grant programmes for health research are designed jointly with its main contractors, including the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport. The ministry also commissioned the COVID-19 programme, which also supports a number of studies into Post COVID condition. ZonMw does not conduct research itself.