Forms of cybercrime
Cybercrime takes many forms, and it is therefore difficult to fight.
Common forms of cybercrime
Common forms of cybercrime include:
- phishing: using fake email messages to get personal information from internet users;
- misusing personal information (identity theft);
- hacking: shutting down or misusing websites or computer networks;
- spreading hate and inciting terrorism;
- distributing child pornography;
- grooming: making sexual advances to minors.
Nowadays, all digital devices (including computers, tablets, and smartphones) are connected to the internet. In theory, cyber criminals could bring a large part of the Netherlands to a halt. The government rightly takes cybercrime very seriously, and we are working hard to fight it.