Applying for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag (VOG)

Many jobs in the Netherlands require you to have a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag – VOG (certificate of conduct). This also includes volunteer work. Examples are if you are going to work with confidential information or with children. A VOG shows that your behaviour is satisfactory for a new job. You may also need a VOG to apply for a visa or if you want to emigrate to another country. 

Last updated on 10 March 2022

Applying for a VOG

There are several ways to apply for a VOG. The employer or organisation requiring your VOG will tell you how to apply: digitally or in writing. Talk to your employer if you want to apply in a different way than they suggested. 

Are you a volunteer? In some cases, you can apply for a free VOG (in Dutch). Your volunteer organisation can tell you more about this. 

There are three different ways a VOG can be processed. 

  • If the application needs to be submitted digitally, your employer will start the process and you will receive an email with further information.

  • If the application needs to be submitted in writing, the application must be submitted on paper to the municipality where you are registered. The organisation requesting the VOG will provide you with the application form. You can also download the application form from the website.

  • If you are not registered in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) you must email your application for a VOG yourself. For example if you are working temporarily in the Netherlands or you live abroad. Email your application for a VOG and all the accompanying documents directly to Justis (in Dutch) along with the completed application form

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Decree on judicial and criminal records, Chapter 4 

Policy rules VOG-NP-RP 2018

Found what you were looking for?

Applying for a VOG for rechtspersonen (legal entities)

Do you have a company or organisation? Then you can apply for a VOG voor rechtspersonen (VOG RP) (certificate of conduct for legal entities).