Declaring cash you are carrying into or out of the European Union (EU)

If you are entering or leaving the EU and carrying cash worth €10,000 or more, you must declare it. Cash can be banknotes and/or coins. Declare your cash with customs in the country where you are entering or leaving the EU. If you leave or enter the EU via the Netherlands you should declare the amount with the Douane (Dutch Customs).

Last updated on 4 April 2023

Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands

When do you need to declare cash amounts?

The Belastingdienst (Tax and Customs Administration) provides more information on the situations when you have to declare cash amounts. You do not have to declare cash amounts if you are travelling within the EU.

Declaring cash amounts

You must declare cash amounts to the Douane (Dutch Customs).

Laws and regulations (in Dutch)

Algemene douanewet, artikel 3:2

Found what you were looking for?