Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one
Do you want to apply for a new passport or renew your old one? The application process depends on where you hold citizenship and where you live.
Last updated on 15 September 2022
Lees deze informatie in het Nederlands
Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one in the Netherlands
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship? Then you can apply or renew at your municipality.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship, but have no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
- Do you not hold Dutch citizenship? Visit your own embassy or consulate for a passport.
- Do you live in the Netherlands on a valid residence permit? Are you unable to get a passport from your country of origin? You may be eligible for a vreemdelingenpaspoort (alien passport). Ask at your municipality.
- Do you live in the Netherlands as an erkend vluchteling (recognised refugee)? Then you are eligible for a vluchtelingenpaspoort (refugee passport). Contact your municipality for this.
Bring with you when applying for or renewing a passport in the Netherlands
- A colour passport photo that complies with the Dutch passport photo requirements;
- All travel and identification documents in your possession.
Passport for children up to the age of 18
- Your child must be present when you apply.
- All parents / legal guardians must give permission for the passport application. You must fill in a form for this. You can get the form from the municipality. Bring the completed consent form with you to the application appointment. In a number of municipalities you fill in the form and give permission using your DigiD.
- A colour passport photo of your child that meets the passport photo requirements;
- All of your child's passports and identity papers. Even if they have expired.
- A valid proof of identity of all the parents/guardians.
Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one outside the Netherlands
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship? Please visit the embassy or consulate of the Netherlands in your country of residence. Are you are in the Netherlands for a short time, to visit family, for example? You can apply to the municipality desk in Schiphol or at a grensgemeente (border municipality).
- If you hold Dutch citizenship and wish to apply for a new passport or renew your old one in the Caribbean parts of the Koninkrijk der Nederlanden (Kingdom of the Netherlands) , you can make an application to:
You must bring additional documents if you wish to apply for or renew your passport in the Caribbean part of the Kingdom. You can obtain a personalised list of the documents you need to bring with you from the netherlandsworldwide.nl website.
Laws and regulations (in Dutch)
Paspoortuitvoeringsregeling Nederland 2001
Paspoortuitvoeringsregeling Buitenland 2001
Paspoortuitvoeringsregeling Caribische landen
Paspoortuitvoeringsregeling Koninklijke Marechaussee 2001