As an EU citizen, how can I stay in the Netherlands for longer than three months?

As a national of an EU country, you can stay in the Netherlands for as long as you wish. You do not require a residence permit, nor do you need to report to the IND.

To whom does this apply?

These rules apply to residents of the European Union and to nationals of Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland.

All you need is your passport or identity document

Your passport or identity document is proof that you are in the Netherlands legally. You are not required to report to the IND (pdf).

Registering with a municipality for stays exceeding 4 months

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than four months, you need to register your details in the local Personal Records Database (BRP). Your municipality can provide you with more information on registering.

Workers from Bulgaria and Romania no longer require an employment permit

Since 1 January 2014 employers no longer need to apply for an employment permit for Romanian and Bulgarian nationals.